Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Does any one have a recipe for Chicken Empanadas that are like the ones they have at On the Border?

My husband absolutley loves them and I'd really like to surprise him by making him some.Does any one have a recipe for Chicken Empanadas that are like the ones they have at On the Border?
On the Border is my FAVORITE restaurant...I have a recipe which I have used for years that is very similar to OTB's empanadas...





FILLING: 3 tbsp. butter


1 3/4 shredded, cooked chicken


3 tbsp. chicken broth


1/4 tsp. garlic salt, pepper, cumin, chili %26amp; onion powder


1 pkg. (3 oz) cream cheese, cubed


1/2 cup (to taste) shredded mozzarella or colby jack cheese **KRAFT has a 'mexican' cheese blend that I use for this**





PASTRY: 1 1/2 cup flour


1/2 tsp salt


3 tbsp. paprika


1/2 cup cold butter


4-5 tbsp. cold water





1.) In a large skillet, melt butter; stir in chicken, broth, seasonings cream cheese and cheese- set aside.





2.) For pastry, combine flour, salt and paprika in a medium bowl; cut in butter until the mixture resembles corse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. On a floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/16th in thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 in round cookie cutter (**OR use a glass, cup dipped in flour**). Reroll scraps and cut more circles.





3.) Mound a heeping tsp of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold pastry over filling and press edges with fork to seal. Repeat with remaining filling and pastries





4.) Place empanadas on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 175*F for 15-20 minutes or until golden.








**These are sooooo good- they are pretty filling, but I usually prepare them for mexican-style potlucks or if I am feeling particularly hungry...I think I'll make some now, actually...Hope this answer helps!**Does any one have a recipe for Chicken Empanadas that are like the ones they have at On the Border?
I think the baking temperature given in that recipe should read 175 C, or 350 F. 175 F doesn't cook much of anything very quickly! Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment